Friday, June 24, 2011

When all else fails.....PASTA PRIMAVERA!

When given a diverse buch of vegetables to use, it is great to have Pasta Primavera in your arsenal of "loose" recipes (and by "loose" I mean they are easy to change in and out ingredients).  Here is what I am making today.  I am not putting amounts in the recipe because it is totally up to you how much you put in.  It won't affect the recipe at all.

Pasta Primavera
Bacon
Penne Pasta
Garlic
Onion
Yellow Squash
Peas
Arugala
Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper

Start your pasta cooking and then:  Dice up your bacon ( I used 2 strips) and render it down in a saute pan.  Remove the bacon and drain, while reserving about 1 TBS of the drippings.  In the drippings I add a little olive oil, garlic and onion and begin sauteing.  I try not to cook the vegetables too much as I like them to have a little texture in the final product.  I then added my peas and sauted them for a minute or two.  I then added my Yellow Squash which I cut into matchsticks.  I only cook the squash for a minute or so.  At this point I usually add about 1/4 cup of the pasta water and all the pasta to the saute pan.   Toss to coat in the oil, add the arugala, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.  Toss again and serve.  Also great to add:  Cherry tomatos, Red Peppers, basil, Zucchini, Carrot. etc.  Whatever you have on hand!

RESULTS This really came out nice...arugula really just is perfect with pasta.  I would have loved to add a bit of dry white wine when I added the pasta water and maybe a few cherry tomatos. It was good but it would have been better with just a bit of zing from those two things...I just didn't have any on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment