Thursday, June 30, 2011

My thoughts on Recipes

I know I am writing this blog as if I am some kind of "authority" on cooking.  Believe me...I am NOT.  I am, however, a cook who is willing to experiment and try something different.  I usually tell dinner guests to come with the knowledge that they might be getting "take out" pizza for dinner if I screw things up too badly.  Admitted...it hasn't happened yet...but it still could. 
Here is whow I usually decide what to make..and how to make it.  First of all...I watch WAY TOO MANY cooking shows.  I love them.  I am addicted to them.  My favorite show is the old Japanese version of Iron Chef.  Food network doesn't show it anymore, but I really wish they would.   I loved the idea of "mystery" ingredients that you had to figure out what to do with (Many of the ingredients on that show were still a mystery AFTER they told me what it was.  That is what I like about our CSA basket.  I get to be an Iron Chef. 

When I get our basket, I usually get a few ideas right off, but if I don't...there is always the internet.  What I will do is read as many recipes as I can for something and then promptly ignore them and do whatever it is that I want.  You see...I consider recipes as loose "guidelines".  I take  what I like from the recipes I see and then put them together how I see fit.  Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't, but it is always an adventure.  I hope that anyone and everyone approaches my recipes on here the same way.  Maybe you can make and improvement on what I came up with.  If you do...please let me know.  My recipes are always changeing and evolving. Partly because I learn more and partly because I don't write them down and my memory sucks.  Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment