Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Mango Sorbet and Lentil Sweet Potato Packets

I am Dying to get my harvest basket tomorrow!!!  It is always such a challenge to see what we got and figure out how to use it.  Makes me feel like an "Iron Chef".  Since I don't have the basket ready, I am still trying to be creative in my cooking.  For dinner tonight I am making Curried Lentil and Sweet potato packets. And for desert we are having Mango Sorbet.  (I have to admit that the strawberries from past weeks have made me wan to tinker with the ice cream machine a lot lately.  Also our local grocery store had mangos 10 for $10 so I had to have a little fun with them!).

I will start with the Mango sorbet since I actually started it last night so it could be thoroughly chilled before I put it in the ice cream maker.
Mango Sorbet
2 Ripe mangos cubed
1 cup sugar (minus 1 TBS)
1 cup water
1 tsp white corn syrup
1 TBS orange liquor 
1TBS lemon Juice
2 TBS Orange Juice





In a small saucepan put your water, sugar, lemon juice, orange liquor and corn syrup, and heat on meduim and stir until all sugar is dissolved.  Set aside until cool.  In a blender add your Mangos and Orange Juice (I really used the orange juice just to get the mangos liquified, but I figured it would add some flavor also).  Puree this until smooth.  Mix together the syrup with the fruit puree and chill in the fridge for at least a couple of hours.  I did mine overnight.  Put into your ice cream maker and mix until frozen.  I usually put mine in the freezer afterword to firm up a bit.  The corn syrup and liquor are there to help keep the ice crystals small and give the sorbet a good texture.  I leaned this from my Gelato experiments in earlier posts. This came out so delicious...you have to try it.  My wife and I set down and ate the whole batch for desert. 

Curried Lentil and Sweet Potato Packets
1/2 cup Green Lentils
2 small Sweet Potatoes (1/2 " dice)
1/2 medium White Onion
1 Carrots (diced small)  *Optional*
1 Clove Garlic
1/2 cup Chicken Stock
1 Red Pepper (diced)
1 1/2 tsp. Curry Powder
Salt and Pepper



The first thing you want to do is pre-cook your lentils a bit.  I simply add mine to a saucepan, cover with water (or stock) and simmer until almost they start to get soft and tender.  You can also add some spices during this part to give a bit more flavor to your lentils (consider, curry, turmeric, cumin, red pepper flakes).  After the lentils are cooked, let them cool slightly.

To assemble the packets get a couple of sheets of Aluminum Foil about 12 inches square or bigger.  I like to mix together, the Lentils, Potatos, Onions Carrots, Red Pepper, Garlic, Curry Powder, salt and pepper in a bowl and then add a large serving to the middle of the foil.  Bring up the edges of the foil leaving an opening at the top to add about 1/4 cup of chicken stock.  Now crimp the top of the foil pouch and place on a baking sheet.  I usually bake mine at about 400 degrees for 20 minutes or so.  I actually did mine on the grill along with some grilled chicken.  Open carefully and serve!  These would be great with other vegetables as well.  A good recipe for using what you have on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment