Thursday, June 2, 2011

Improvization!

Well, I came home from work early today to go fishing. When I first got home I had a look at our menu to decide what to make for dinner. Nothing on the list sounded good or I didn't have all the ingredients necessary to make what did sound good. So I had a look around the kitchen and then went fishing. I get a lot of good thinking done while fishing (especially when, like today, I don't catch any fish), and today I came up with a good idea for dinner.

I have a lot of Spinach right now. Some I got in yesterdays basket and some that was left over from last week but still looking really good. I decided to make some Spinach pasta. Partly because I knew it was a good way to use some spinach and partly so I could get a vegetable into my two year old son. Lately he loves to say "I don't like vegetables" everytime we sit down to dinner. Here is what I ended up making and the recipes.

PASTA:
1 1/2 cup flour
2 eggs
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup spinach pureed with a little water (just enough to make it all puree nicely)
pinch salt ( I acutally forgot this, but it came out great anyway)

SAUCE:
olive oil
2 cloves garlic minced
2 large Scallions (from harvest bastket!)
2 TBS tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup sliced black olives
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)



To make the pasta, I use my stand mixer. I start by adding the flour and salt to the mixing bowl. I add the olive oil and the eggs (lightly beaten) and then start the mixer on low. I slowly add in the pureed spinach (which should be a thick liquid) until the dough comes together. I said 1/2 cup of spinach, but really I just use however much it takes for the dough to come together. I shape the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1 hour. After the dough has been hydrated in the fridge...I roll it out with a little more flour. I use a pasta machine, but it could easily be done by hand also. I cut mine into linguini and boiled it very quickly in salted water.

To make the sauce, I started by sauteing the scallion and garlic in olive oil for about a minute. I then added the tomato paste and cooked it for about 1 minute. This is a very important step. As the tomato paste browns you develop some really great flavor. I then added in the canned tomatoes, olives, the white wine and the basil. I also added the pre-cooked chicken. Simmer this until it really starts to thicken. (if it gets to thick...add some pasta water).

I added the pasta to the suace and tossed over low heat. I then added the parmesan cheese and served. It came out pretty good. That is the first time I have ever made spinach pasta and the first time I have ever tried to make linguini.

My son loved it ....here is what he had to say!


I did manage to use two things from the harvest basket in this meal. Spinach and scallion. I have no idea what the rest of the week will bring. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment