Thursday, June 23, 2011

Turnip Bubble and Sqeak!

Thanks to someone from a CSA group on facebook, I had an idea for my Turnips.  They said that Turnips made really "zippy" hashbrowns and I ran with that idea.  I also saw, on food network, a recipe for "Bubble and Squeak", so I combined the ideas.  Here is what I did:

Turnip Bubble and Sqeak:
1 cup Turnips (cubed)
1 cup Red Potatos (cubed)
3 slices bacon,
1 cup Turnip Greens (chopped)
1 TBS Butter
Salt and Pepper

First I sauted my tunip greens in a little olive oil and garlic.  Once they were done, I set them aside to cool.  After coating with olive oil, salt and pepper, I roasted my potatos and turnips in a 400 degree oven until  they were fork tender and a little browned.  While they were cooking I cooked up some bacon, crumble it and dicarded most of the oil. 
I then combined everything in a bowl with a little butter and mixed until the potatos and turnips started to break up a little.  I re-heated the bacon drippings in my small frying pan and added the mixture to it.  I let it go for a while without turning and mashed it all down into the pan like one big pancake.  After it started to brown, I gave it a flip, brown the other side and served. 

RESULTS:  This actually came out pretty good.  We had Salmon Croquettes on the menu tonight and this went with it pretty well.  I think the only thing I would change is to use a different type of greens with the turnips and potatos.  The turnip greens and the turnips was just a little too much together.  I think a milder green would have worked better.  It did make a really good side dish though!

No comments:

Post a Comment