Wednesday, June 1, 2011

6/1/11- Planning stage

Today we picked up the following in our harvest basket:
6 medium scallions
1 bunch of Bok Choi
1 bunch Cilantro
Asparagus (about a pound?)
1 pint Strawberries
Spinach (large bag)
Salad Greens

We had stir fry for dinner right after I picked up the basket so I was able to use a few of the items right away plus one from last week.

Stir Fry
1 tsp olive oil
2 large boneless chicken thighs
1 cup Broccoli florets
1 cup chopped Bok Choi
1/2 cup frozen edamame
Sauce:
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
3 scallions
1 tsp Fresh grated ginger
3 TBS Hoisin Sauce
2 TBS Soy Sauce
1 TBS Mirin

I like to start by dicing my chicken and sauteing it (in a BLAZING hot pan) until cooked through. Remove and set aside. I then start on the sauce. I add more oil if necessary and then quickly add the garlic, ginger and scallion. Stir constantly! I usually then add the vegetables and stir fry only until they are warmed through. Add back in the chicken. I then add the Hoisin, Soy and Mirin and toss. (tonight I had some Korean hot pepper paste so I added that too!) Serve over rice and enjoy.

This recipe is great because you can use whatever vegetables you have on hand, and also because it is a quick fix after work.

PLANNING:
I am now also formulating plans for the rest of the vegetables. To be honest, I have a TON of asparagus so I will probably just blanch these and freeze them for a later date. I think I am currently sitting on over 3 lbs. of the stuff. As for the Spinach....I am thinking about a spinach and potato curry with rice. I have had this before in England but never made it...I'll let you know how it comes out!
I am also thinking about something fun with the strawberries. It has been really HOT here lately so I am thinking about Strawberry Gelato. Should remind my wife and I about our honeymoon in Italy. As for the rest of it....no idea yet, but I SWEAR I will let none of it go to waste! That is my goal this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment