Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Grilled Gyros and Pho in the planning stages.

Just got our basket for this week and it looks pretty good.  Simple...but good.  Here is what I will be working with for the week:

Bag of Mixed Lettuce
Bok Choy
Green Garlic
Mustard Greens
Sugar Snap Peas
Broccoli
4 tomatos
Carrots (I bought these in addition to our basket)
Two Cucumbers (left over from last week!)

Tonight I started working on dinner for tomorrow.  GYROS!  I mainly was looking for a way to use my cucumbers and a bit of salad mix.  Tonight I made my version of Tzatziki, a yogurt based  sauce for our gyros.

Tzatziki:
1 cucumber grated
1 cup greek style plain yogurt
Juice of 1 lemon
Fresh Mint (6 or 8) leaves (minced)
1 TBS greek oregano (minced)

Mix all ingredients together and let sit overnight.  I also marinated my flank steak in a mixture of Garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, honey, salt and pepper and a little soy sauce.  Tomorrow I will grill the steak and my pita bread, and maybe a bit of red onion and serve it all as a sandwich with some of my salad mix, tomato, and our tzatziki.  Should be good!  I'll let you know tomorrow. 

Also looking ahead a bit, I think I will use some of my carrots, broccoli, snap peas, green garlic, and bok choy in a soup similar to vietnamese pho.  Not exactly the same, but I would say "inspired" by pho.  I'll let you know how that one goes too.

No comments:

Post a Comment