Saturday, June 4, 2011

Traditional Strawberry Gelato!

Honestly...I am not the biggest fan of strawberries.  Something about the seeds and that they are never as sweet as I want them to be.  This week I decided to try something adventurous and it came out great.  My new favorite summer treat. 

Strawberry Gelato
1 cup sugar
1 cup filtered water
1 pint (or so) strawberries
1 TBS Orange Juice
1 egg white

I started by stemming and cleaning the strawberries and placing them in a blender with the Orange juice.  I then pureed them long enough to really liquify them.  I then passed it through a fine strainer to remove as many seeds as possible.  I hate this part.  It takes a while to push the liquid through as the seeds will just plug up your strainer and you have to use a spatula to push it all through. 
I then put the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat and stirred until the sugar was completely dissolved.  Put aside and let cool a bit.
Mix strawberry puree with the simple syrup and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours.  (I actually did mine over night.  My ice cream maker needed to be frozen for 8 hours at least so I put it in the freezer at the same time. 
The next day...I took the strawberry mixture out of the fridge and mixed it thoroughly with 1 egg white and added it to my icecream maker and mixed until quite thick.  I then poured it into a container and placed it in the freezer to firm up. 
It was great!  I guess it is the egg white that gave it a really creamy texture.  I can't wait to try this with raspberries and any other fruit I can get my hands on!

No comments:

Post a Comment