Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Finishing up the week!

I suppose the first thing I should do in this post is finish up some of the things we used from last weeks harvest basket.   I had planned to make a nice Spinach and Potato curry with the rest of our Spinach, which I did do.  I just didn't do it the way I had planned.  Truthfully, it was just too hot and I was too tired to make it all on Tuesday so I cheated.  I used a "Trader Joe's" curry sauce mix and doctored it up a bit with some fresh spinach.  Here is what I did:

1 Jar "Trader Joes" curry sauce
1 bag Spinach
1 small onion
6 small red potatos
1 TBS Curry Powder

I started by sauteing the onion until soft in a little olive oil.  I then added the jarred sauce and heated to a simmer.  At this point I added the potatos that I diced into about 1/2 inch pieces, all the spinach and a little water.  I simmered this until the potatos were cooked.  At this point I tasted it and realized it needed a little more curry powder so I added some.  We served it with Brown rice and Naan.  Not the most homemade dish ever, but still quite tasty, and VERY fast. 



Last week we also got a nice bunch of Cilantro in our basket.  My wife and I both LOVE Cilantro.  If it were a little later in the summer and there were some fresh tomatos I would have made salsa, but I decided to do something a little different with this bunch.  We made Ceviche!  One of my all time favorite dishes. 

Ceviche:
4 filets Halibut
1 red bell pepper
1 jalepeno pepper
1/2 medium red onion
1 cup chopped cilantro (less if you don't like it as much as we do)
the juice of 7 limes
Salt
pepper


I simple dice all the vegetables and the fish to about 1/4 inch pieces and place it all in a non-reactive bowl.  Then add the chopped Cilantro and the lime Juice.  I like to let mine set for several hours and then add some salt and taste.   I keep tasting until I have the salt correct.   I also add pepper...well...because I usually add it to everything.  We served ours with an avacado, simple salad and good quality tortilla chips (El Milagro are our favorites). The fish is cooked chemically by the acid in the lime juice so don't worry about eating "raw" fish.  If you like salsa...you will probably like Ceviche.  The fish gives it a little more "hearty" texture.  For variations try other fish, other citrus juice and even fruit.  The first time I made this I added diced watermelon and served it with a watermelon sorbet and it was amazing. 

1 comment:

  1. I am not a big curry person but boy does that spinach and potato dish look good! Definitely going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete