Wednesday, June 8, 2011

6/8/2010....ARRRRGGGHHH!!!!.....More Asparagus

Okay...Here is what my wife brought home in our basket today!

Garlic
Scallion
Mustard Greens
Asian Greens (?)
Asparagus
Strawberries
Salad

Okay...so I already used the salad with our Ceviche, but we have enough of that left to have with dinner one night this week.  My wife has already informed me that this batch of Strawberries will be going to Gelato again since it came out so great last time.  (Since then I tried vanilla and it was good, but not so different from regular ice-cream).  I am thinking that tomorrow night we will have grilled pork chops with some of the greens.  I have fallen in love with greens over the last year or so. 
   A couple of years ago, my wife and I ventured into an Ethiopian restaraunt to give their cuisine a taste.  We did so because were adopting a child from Ethiopia and wanted to find out more about the culture.  At the time we went to the restaraunt, I had never had greens before (even growing up in a mostly southern family).  It turns out that Ethiopians also eat a lot of greens.  I think they call them "gomen".  I tried them and couldn't believe how great they are.  Since then we have them quite often.  Usually collard greens. 
  Since  I am not too sure what "Asian Greens" are, I think I will do the following, just to be safe this time around.

Greens:
1 bunch "Asian Greens"
1 bunch Mustard Greens
2-3 Scallions
1 garlic
1 Jalepeno pepper
1 cup Chicken stock
1/4 tsp Cardamom (used in Ethiopian Greens)
Salt
Pepper

Dice the onion and garlic and saute it in some olive oil (bacon grease works REALLY well too).  Add Greens and stir to coat with the oil.  Add the chicken stock and Jalepeno pepper and some salt and pepper.  Cook uncovered until most of the stock has evaporated and the greens are tender.  Add the cardamom and more salt and pepper if needed. 

That should use up my greens and even some of my scallion and garlic.  I am sure I will find plenty of uses for them during the rest of the week. 

Okay.....as for the Asparagus.  We have recieved a LARGE bag of asparagus every week.  More than  we can eat.  I have been simply blanching it, drying it in a salad spinner and freezing.  I'm not sure how good it will be after doing this.  If nothing else, it should be fine for pastas, stir fry, soup, and things of that sort.  I guess we will have to wait until I run out of fresh and have to use the frozen.  I'll let you know how it works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment