Monday, June 20, 2011

Spinach and White Bean dip

This is still a slow week for creative cooking since we did not get a basket last week and won't get one again until this Wednesday.  However, we did pick some things up at the farmers market to play with.  First of all we picked up some snap peas to use in a stir fry along with some of our left-over green garlic and scallion.  With the addition of a little broccoli, carrot, cauliflour and some edamame we had a great little stir fry.  Not all that creative and exciting...but still quite tasty!

While at the farmers market, we also picked up some spinach (very hard to find this week) to try a dip recipe I had seen.  It is a Spinach and White bean dip that looked really good. 

Spinach and White Bean dip
2 1/2 - 3 cups chopped fresh spinach
1- 15.5 oz can Canellini beans (rinsed)
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1 clove Garlic
1 TBS Lemon Juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh Dill
Salt and Pepper

I made a few changes to the recipe right off.  It called for steeping the garlic in the olive oil and using the oil, but that was too much work and unneccessary in my opinion.  Also, I used some of our green garlic from our harvest basket.  I also added some scallion.  I did not have an fresh dill so I used about 1 1/2 tsp. of dried dill.  Here is what I did.  I rinsed my beans and added them to my food processor.  With that I added some chopped scallion and green garlic, the spinach, lemon juice and dill.  I pureed all of this until relatively smoothe.  I then added in the olive oil and gave that a buzz also.   after that I emptied it into a bowl and added salt and pepper to taste.  We toasted up some crostini and gave it a taste.  WE LOVED IT.  I think I might try the same thing later with some other greens such as Kale etc.  I will probably have to cook that a little bit to get it tender first...but I bet it tastes great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment