Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Summer Bolognese

One of my wife and I's favorite dishes.  It is a light pasta dish that leaves a LOT of room for variation and experimentation.  Calling it a "bolognese" is probably pushing the term a bit too far in my opinion, but it is very good.  I think I first read this recipe in one of my wife's magazines...Real Simple...I think.  However, over the last couple of years I have tweaked it to fit our tastes.  Today I used the following recipe.

Summer Bolognese
1 lb. Lean Ground Turkey
1 zucchini (grated)
2 medium tomatos diced (canned also will work)
1 Small sweet onion
1/2 cup Summer Squash (diced)
1/2 cup Sweet peas
2 cloves Garlic
2 carrots (diced small)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese 
basil leaves (chopped) AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE!
Optional vegetation!
Spinach (or other greens)
Red Bell pepper
Can you think of anything else that might be good in here?  let me know!

I by adding a bit of oil to my pan and sauteing my shallot, garlic and carrots (and red pepper if you are using it) for a few minutes.  I then add my ground turkey and start breaking it up.  When it is "not quite" cooked through, I add the grated zucchini  and white wine.  Bring this to a simmer and add the tomato.  After the wine has reduced by about half I add my basil and Parmesan cheese.  Simmer for a minute or two more until the sauce gets a little thick and  serve over pasta.  If your sauce reduces too much...just add some of your pasta water as the starch in it will also help thicken the sauce.

In this dish alone I used the following items from my basket and the farmers market in general.   Onion, Garlic, Peas, Carrots, Zucchini, Squash, tomatos and basil.  This is a GREAT ONE for using a variety of vegetables and it really does taste great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment