Sunday, July 10, 2011

Blueberry and Goat Cheese Turnovers

Okay...I have been working on this one for a while.  My first attempt was in "pie" form and it came out pretty good....at first.  Right out of the oven it was beautiful, but after it set until the next day when I wanted to serve it to guests...It got soggy.  I TASTED WONDERFUL...but it was an embarrassing disappointment.  BUT!  Since the farmers' market is full of blueberries...We try again. 

This is a version of a recipe I saw on food network and have never been able to make it come out just right.  Here was tonights attempt:

Dough:
1 1/2 cups AP Four
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
3 TBS butter (melted)
7 TBS lemon Juice
1/4 cup hot water

Filling:
1 8oz. pkg. Cream cheese
1 4oz. pkg. goat cheese
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 pint blueberries
1/2 cup sliced almonds
8 basil leaves (chopped)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup Sugar

Start the dough by putting the flour, spices, salt and baking soda in a food processer and pulse to combine.  I then add the lemon juice and butter at the same time while pulsing.  I then turn on the processor and let it run while I add the hot water.  After it forms a ball, put in a bowl that you have coated with cooking spray, cover and let sit for 15 minutes. 

The filling is pretty easy... add everything except the blueberries and mix thoroughly.  Then gently "fold" in the blueberries so as not to crush them. 

I boke off golf ball sized pieces of dough and rolled them out to about 4-5 inch rounds.  Placed a large dollop of filling in the middle, wet 1/2 of the edge with water and then fold over into a semi-circle and crimp closed.  Place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. 
I brushed the tops of mine with a little egg wash (cut a slit in the top of each if baking)  and baked at 400 degrees until golden brown.  These would be MUCH better fried.  I just hate frying anything. 

Critique:  Well,  Still not perfect.  I think I needed more sugar and I should have fried them.  Mine exploded a little in the oven and the juice made the bottoms wet and a bit soggy.  Not all of them...but a few.  The do taste great.  The basil and blueberry really go together well, and the goat cheese just gives it a bit of a tanginess.  If you can "fix" this recipe....PLEASE tell me what you did.  I can make it taste good, but I just can't seem to make it pretty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment