Friday, July 22, 2011

Spicy Vegetable Cabbage Rolls - An invented Recipe

     When we picked up this weeks basket, I admit that I wasn't very inspired.  However, I pushed forward and sought advice from others in the CSA farmer's basket world and received a great idea.  (Thanks Steven!!!).   I am going to attempt to make Spicy Vegetable cabbage rolls.  I am literally going to use about every vegetable I have on hand in this one.  I have eaten cabbage rolls twice before...I think.  I have never seen a recipe or had anyone describe to me how to make them...so this should be interesting.  Here is what I think I am going to do:

Spicy Cabbage Rolls
1 head Cabbage 
2 small carrots
1/2 yellow onion
1 small yukon gold potatos
1/4 cup sweet peas
1 cup cooked rice (not fully cooked)
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup broccoli florets
1 small bunch Kale (diced)
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/2 tsp ground Cumin
1/2 cup chicken stock
Salt and Pepper

Sauce
4 tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped Parsley
1/4 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3/4 tsp Mekalesha (Ethiopian Spice Blend) OBVIOUSLY OPTIONAL!
Salt and Pepper

   I think that I remember something about blanching my cabbage leaves first so I did that (in order to make them more pliable?)  In a pan I started with my onion, carrots and garlic in a bit of olive oil.  I then added my potatoes that I diced into about 1/4 inch pieces.  Next I added my Sweet peas, Broccoli, Kale and finally my rice. I added a bit of chicken stock and cooked it until most of that was evaporated or absorbed by the rice.  Set Aside to cool.
     After it cooled I layed out 2 leaves, overlapping.  I placed a large spoonful of mixture into the middle of the leaves and rolled them like a burrito or eggroll.   I then placed them into a backing dish.  (I put a little of my sauce in the bottom of the baking dish first).  I had a lot of leftover filling so I spread that around on top of the rolls before I added the sauce.



RESULTS:  The filling for this came out wonderful.  It had a great texture and a great taste.  The only real problem I had is that I didn't have a big enough head of cabbage.  I think this is a recipe that really tastes great and I will make it again when I have a bigger head of cabbage with larger leaves to work with. 


     For the sauce, I started a saucepan with a little olive oil, onion and garlic. Once that softened I added my diced tomatoes.    I then added my red pepper and Mekalesha.  After that it was just a matter of seasoning to taste with Salt and Pepper, and pureeing with a stick blender. 
   I ladled the sauce over the rolls and baked, covered, at 350 deg.  for about 45 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment