Thursday, August 4, 2011

A Guatemalan Dish.....Jocon. LOVE IT!

Okay...I did NOT want to make salsa with my tomatillos.  I love it, but it was just too easy and boring.  I posted that I wanted to make something different and a friend said to try "Jocon".  So I did.  Here is how it went.

Jocon
3 boneless chicken thighs
1 can chicken stock
1 cup tomatillos (diced)
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1 bunch cilantro
1 small onion
2 corn tortillas (soaked in water then drained)
1 jalapeno pepper
1/4 tsp cumin (optional)
salt
pepper

Okay...first I put my can of stock and about 1 cup of water in a pot.  I added some cilantro stems, some cumin and the chicken and simmered it until the chicken was done.  Skim off any foam on top as you go. 

As that is going, I toasted my seeds in a small pan and put them into my food processor (DO NOT DO WHAT I DID).  You will be much better served to use a coffee grinder and grind these into a fine powder.  My food processor did not get it fine enough.  After that, I added my tomatillos, onion, jalepeno, cilantro and tortilla to the processor and pureed until as smooth as I could get it.  I added a bit of the stock the chicken was cooking in to make it blend better.

When the chicken was done I removed it from the pot and strained the stock.  I added my tomatillo mix to the pan and thinned it out a bit more with the stock.  I shredded the chicken and returned it to the pot, and simmered it for about 20 minutes more.  I then seasoned with salt and pepper and served it over rice.  Garnish with cilantro and enjoy.  I WILL BE MAKING THIS AGAIN.  I LOVED IT!

note:  in this I used several items from my basket.  Tomatillos, onions, and jalapenos.  I think I might try some fried green tomatillos next.  Kinda like a friend green tomato....How does that sound to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment