Sunday, September 18, 2011

Stuffed Squash Blossoms and Incredible Sweet Potatos

    As I said in my last post, I have been wanting to try stuffed squash blossoms for a long time and I finally got my chance.  I bought eight of them at the farmers market on Saturday and sent them home with my wife as I went to work.  I asked her to take them out of the paper bag I had them in, put them in plastic and in the fridge.  Chaos ensued.  Evidently they warmed up just enough in the bag that when Wendi opened it, the "dozens" of bugs living in the blossoms became active and flew out of the bag in a "cloud" as soon as she opened the bag.  OH..and a grasshopper jumped out of the bag too!  Her and Simon spent a little while chasing down and "squashing" bugs. 
   Well, after a thorough cleaning, I did stuff the blossoms with a mixture of goat cheese and a bit of ricotta (should have left the ricotta out!) and fried them in a beer batter (1 cup flour, salt pepper and enough beer to make a thin batter).  After all this waiting and excitement....they were okay.   Just okay.  I am terrible at deep frying things so I don't think I had the oil hot enough and they soaked up a bit too much oil.  Also, the batter did not coat them as well as I had hoped.  A good first try. 
    On Wednesday of last week we got our harvest basket and it had white sweet potatos in it.  I remembered these from last year and they are delicious.  Last time I just roasted them whole with a bit of salt and they tasted great.  This time I wanted to channel a little southern lady (my mother) and candy them.  I cut them into large chunks and put them in a baking dish with butter and brown sugar.  That's it.  I roasted them at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes (stiring them once or twice to get all them covered in the syrup).  Oh my...they were excellent.  I served them with some grilled pork chops and some greens that I also got from the basket.  A simple, but excellent Sunday dinner. 
   I think tomorrow I am going to try and make a gratin with some spaghetti squash.  The truth is that I do not like spaghetti squash very well and I thought I would try something different.  I'll let you know how it goes. 

We hope to have our camera back soon!   I keep forgetting to bring one home from work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment