Thursday, January 19, 2012

A super-fast fritatta.....did I spell that right????

    My wife and I don't usually get home from work until almost 6pm.  That is after a stop to pick up our son from daycare.  That really doesn't leave a lot of time for cooking, eating and family-fun-time before the start of Simon's bedtime routine at around 7:30, so I am ALWAYS looking for a quick recipe.  Tonight I found a good one, and with a few changes to speed things up...it was fantastic.

Spinach, Sausage and Potato Fritatta
Small bunch Fresh spinach
1 sweet italian sausage (casing removed)
1 russet potato
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
1 cup diced onion
8 eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
Salt and Pepper
Olive oil

     The first thing I did was start my sausage to browning.  Stirring it often to break up the large pieces.  While that was browning, I microwaved my potato for about 5-7 minutes until mostly soft.  I then removed the sausage from the frying pan and sauted my onion in a bit of olive oil.  Once it was translucent, I added my potatos and cooked them until they started to brown.  Next I added the spinach and the sausage back in and tossed until the spinach began to wilt. 
     While that was going on, I whisked my eggs and milk together until well mixed and poured it over the sausage, potato, spinach and onion mix in the saute pan.  I stirred it until I was sure that all the ingredients would not settle to the bottom of the pan.  At this point I stirred in my cheese and salt and pepper.  I then reduced the heat to medium and pulled back the edges of the Fritata to let the runny, top-part move into contact with the pan.  I kept doing this until the there wasn't any runny top part and the bottom was beginning to brown. 
     Here is the tricky part.  I like to slide the fritata off onto a plate and then use the plate to flip the fritata.  It can be tricky and can be avoided by using an oven safe saute pan and moving it to a 400 degree oven right after all the ingredients are added.  I prefer to flip and do it all on the stovetop.  Once the fritata is flipped, add a bit more cheddar cheese to the top and cook through.  Slide off onto a cutting board and cut into wedges.  Serve with a simple tossed salad.  Delicious.

RESULTS:   This was a really great tasting and really fast dinner.  The potatos are really the key as they add a bit more texture to the fritata.  By the way....this makes a HUGE fritata.  Enough for dinner for 3 plus enough leftovers for 3 lunches the next day.  Always a plus in my book! 

No comments:

Post a Comment